Bringing the prostate into focus

I made this image from an actual photograph of a mouse prostate in hopes of getting the cover of a journal for a client who investigates imaging technologies for cancer diagnostics.  The idea is that with better imaging, a better picture of prostate cancers can be deciphered. Hence, the manually pixelated image (I know, I could do it with a click in photoshop but I didn't like the results so I did it manually box by box, with a slightly transparent version of the original photo overlaid). The groovy 70's background was made, surprisingly, with only colors taken directly from the prostate photo.